Ima's Loc's

I was walking around a local lake a few days ago, (getting my exercise on!)  and I passed a beautiful young lady with gorgeous loc's.  I knew instantly that I had seen her pictures on Facebook. I wanted to say hi, but could not remember her name. So they next day,  I searched on Facebook and found Ima's profile.  I asked if I could feature her on the Naturally Beautiful Hair Blog. And she said yes!  It is not often that I can say that I have loc envy, but her loc's look just as great in person as they do in these photos below.  

Here is more about Ima -

How long have you had loc's?
I started my loc journey, lets see...next month October will make it 4 years.

What made you decide to loc your hair?
I had been desiring to loc up since 9 years ago but wanted to 1st get all other styles out of my system. I knew loc'ing my hair would required patience and commitment which I gained some years later

Was it a hard transition?
No not at all, I felt it was long overdue and was pretty ecstatic to get it started. I fell in love with my hair like never before...I would study them closely and watch its transition and growth process. My favorite part to watch was how it expanded as it hardened in the beginning. Admittedly it is by far my favorite hairstyle

What has been the best thing to happen to you because of your natural hair?
The freedom of expression, to be my full self, to be whole again...To see my true beauty come alive and express its existence. To be as God intended for me to be...My true Natural Self...Give Thanks

What is your maintenance routine?
I shampoo my hair once a month, massage it twice a month with my natural oil concoction, Style it right after I shampoo....

What are the hair products that you can't live without?
Different Essential & base oils that I use when concocting oils for my hair like Jojoba, Sage, Clove, Peppermint, Olive oil, Lemon Eucalyptus, Damascus rose oil, just to name a few....

What advice would you give someone that wants to loc their hair?
It requires lots of patience and commitment in the beginning...if u can make it pass the beginning, you owe yourself a big pat on the back, because not everyone can stay committed that long....It's definitely something you want to be ready for, not so much a fad... Also not to play with it to much by touching it up excessively, let it breath so it can expand, express itself by spreading its wings & grow healthy & strong. Just think of it as the roots of plant & trees, it expresses best when it isn't confined and constantly picked on. I notice that seem to be a common issue that quite a few loc beginners faces... And lastly contrary to popular belief, it is very much a versatile hairstyle that you can do so much with so don't let that misconception be your reason for not loc'ing...


Thank you Ima for sharing your hair story with us!
Peace, Love & Happiness ~ Karen @ Naturally Beautiful Hair Blog