For Better or for Worse

Should I or should I not...

A good $60 burning a hole in my pocket, and a game that for all intents and purposes looks like a lot of fun... but has been somewhat on the receiving end of wildly fluctuating review scores for the better part of a week since its US release...

A game hailed by its developer as the be all and end all of all RPGs, promising so much yet time and again coming woefully short. The third iteration no less in a series that I must admit I have enjoyed in the past in spite of the aforementioned disappointments and short-comings. A third iteration that I'm getting awfully close to purchasing perhaps this weekend... Hm, should I do it, or shouldn't I rolleyes?
Again, the game does look like a lot of fun... And would you believe it if I told you last weekends AP-sourced news rounds were awash tales of Fable-inspired marriages and adoptions? (read: same-sex marriages and adoptions in an RPG)... It's true, apparently the developers over at Lionhead Studios took it upon themselves to give an in-depth presentation (almost)...
They shied away from playing as two males, but I think an in-studio proposal is about as close as it gets for these guys mrgreen. But yeah... love and marriage between gaming buddies, and all that for better or for worse stuff aside, I'm still kind of torn as to whether I should pick this one up. Mayhaps I should try it out and keep the receipt in case? Anybody else had a chance to try this game? It released on Tuesday here in the US and should be out in the UK today, so any thoughts/impressions so far?...